Client – United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
Project – Wind power market development initiative.
About the Client – UNDP operates in nearly 170 countries helping countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. UNDP helps countries to build and share solutions in the main areas of sustainable development, democratic governance and peacebuilding, and climate and disaster resilience.
Client Needs – UNDP/GEF were supporting the government of Kazakhstan to promote the development of the wind energy market in Kazakhstan. UNDP required support from international experts in the renewable energy field.
What Energy Services Did – Energy Services scope of support services focused on a number of key areas;
- Assisting the government to formulate a national programme on wind energy development and to prepare enabling legal and regulatory framework for wind energy,
- Providing information for and building the local capacity to develop wind energy projects in Kazakhstan and to organise financing for them, including site mapping and expansion of the wind speed measurement programme,
- Facilitating the financing decision to the first wind farm projects in Kazakhstan,
- Monitoring, analysing and disseminating the experiences and lessons learned during the implementation of the project.
The Results –
- Final publication detailing the activities of the project, its achievements, lessons learned and recommendations for government, wind energy developers and donor/development organisations.